Monday, April 9, 2012

Inspiration: Robin LaFever's Author Experience

Robin LaFever, author of the amazing Grave Mercy, is my current HERO.

Her author story is amazing. She makes me feel like I can do it, you can do it, he can do it (the guy sitting in the corner over there), and she can do it (the lady hiding behind the bookshelf). Sure, I'm just starting out, but she keeps me believing (like a Journey song) that if we're just true to ourselves (cue emotional, overcoming-an-obstacle music) that we can really do this. She wrote:


We need to be willing to peel our own layers back until we reach that tender, raw, voiceless place—the place where our crunchiest stories come from. We need to get some skin in the game. It should cost us something emotionally to tell our stories. But many of us who come to writing do so because they were voiceless at some point in their lives, so doing that can be the most terrifying risk of all. Just as we must dance as if no one is watching, we must write as if no one is reading.


Her most recent book, Grave Mercy (I, thankfully, captured the ARC at a recent book expo), is AMAZING. It kind of a little bit sort of maybe just a teeny weeny reminds me of N.K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. But only in the way that the protagonists are so incredibly awesome and strong and I want to be them. Just a little bit. Maybe a lot.

When I REALLY love a book, I buy it in hardcover (or add it to the list of books I need to buy in hardcover).There aren't many on the list, but Grave Mercy is.

Anyway...you should READ ROBIN'S STORY here (at Writer Unboxed).

No comments:

Post a Comment