Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Plot-Walk

A few days before the new year, I told my husband I wanted to try walking twice a day, once in the morning, pretty much right after we wake up and he leaves for work, and once in the afternoon, when my brain is falling victim to the daily downswing of its circadian rhythm. Why? Not for exercise, or at least, not only for exercise. Nope, I wanted to incorporate two walks a day because I just happen to get my best ideas while walking...or while taking a shower...

You know this guy's got some bright ideas a brewin'...
Uh, yeah. But anyway, back to walking. It's like my brain is usually a Toyota Corolla functioning in second gear--good for every day tasks and residential streets--but when I'm walking my brain shifts into fifth gear...and sometimes it even transforms into a Ferrari and adds a bonus sixth gear!

(At this point, my husband is likely rolling his eyes at my awful car-gear metaphor and cursing my use of the sacred Ferrari)

But back to what I've started calling the "plot-walk"--so much better than a thinking cap! Of course, it helps that my house is literally smack-dab in the middle of a vineyard, so I can walk on dirt roads rather than oh-so-hard-on-the-knees-and-ankles pavement. I've even run into some fun critters during my plot walks, including hares, an otter (for reals!), and what I'm pretty sure was a bobcat. There are coyotes that hang out among the vines as well, but luckily I've only seen them from inside my house. But boy can they sing at night!

Unfortunately for me (and my plot-walking intentions), the vineyard's been undergoing its semi-annual pruning, which means a slew of vineyard workers is working away out there. And I, being the wuss that I am, pretty much react like this whenever I run into someone in the usually empty vineyard...

Check out the tail wiggle at the apex of the jump!

So, I've been limited to only one plot-walk each day this week. Sigh. I know what you're thinking.



I mean, I totally think the same thing about myself ALL THE TIME. Oh well...

On a brighter note, during my lone (sad face) plot-walk yesterday, I had a totally awesome muse-struck moment. This INSANE twist to the Dani/Jason storyline for Out Of The Ashes just popped into my head. So. Freaking. Good. I'm in love with it. It's mind-blowing. I mean...it totally blew my own mind just thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I was almost twisting my imaginary mustache and doing my best mental evil genius laugh and tapping my fingertips together while I was walking and thinking about it. Ahhhh! Of course, I've yet to share it with LP, and once we discuss it, I might come to realize that it's actually the dumbest idea EVER, so we'll see. But I still think it's a keeper and that you guys will love it.

At least the pruning should be done in the next few days, and plot-walks can again become a twice daily affair. I can't wait!

Alright, back to TEB: Vanessa. The poor girl's just thrown herself between Annie and a pack of vicious, bloody-muzzled dogs. Must help her out of that one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment